- Fashion buyer/purchasing agent/analyst
- Marketing or product specialist
- Store manager/district and regional manager
- Showroom/sales manager
- Trend/fashion forecaster
- Public relations director
- Visual merchandiser
- Wardrobe/color consultant/stylist
- Fashion journalist
- E-commerce and website developer
- Fashion designer
- Costume designer
- Apparel engineer
- Textile designer
- Textile or clothing curator
- Fashion or specification illustrator
- Home furnishings designer
- Technical design
Product development/sourcing specialist
- Product developer
- Fiber or fabrics market researcher and analyst
- Textile colorist or scientist
- Materials buyer
- Apparel engineer
- Production assistant or manager
- Quality assurance specialist
- Importing/Customs coordinator
Internships are available with corporate headquarters of retailers, design firs of all sites, stores, e-commerce agencies, showrooms, costumers, stylist, public relations firms, magazines, catalog companies, fair trade firms, forecasting firms, and shopping centers. For information about apparel, merchandising, and design internships, contact Ann Thye.
The following are great ways for students to find possible internships:
- Students research potential internships and employers in two classes: AESHM 113, Professional Development, and AESHM 311, Seminar on Careers and Internships.
- Advisers maintain a database of potential careers and internships.
- College of Human Sciences Career Services offers many career planning resources, including one-on-one student consultations.
- Students can use CyHire (Former Career Services Management System) to search job postings from companies that contact Iowa State to recruit.
- Companies such as Target and Lands End visit campus each year during the career fair.
- Numerous alumni share opportunities with our students each semester through calls, emails, campus visits, etc.
- Professional networking opportunities are available to students through New York, Los Angeles and international field studies.
Past internship experiences
View previous apparel, merchandising, and design student internship experiences in Career Connections.