Faculty and Staff Directory » SoJung LeeView Directory | Update Profile
Title: Associate Professor
Department: Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management
Office: 8A MacKay, Ames, IA 50011-1078
Phone number: +1 (515) 2948990
- Tourist behaviors (e.g., motivation, place attachment, involvement, commitment, satisfaction, and loyalty) and tourism management (e.g., destination image)
- Popular culture tourism
- Rural tourism: agritourism, rural community development, sustainable tourism
- Club research in members' attitudes and behaviors
Peer-reviewed Journals Papers
- 2020 Lee, S., Joo, D., Lee, C., & Woosnam, K. Korean DMZ tourists' perceived similarity and shared beliefs in predicting place attachment and support for tourism development. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management.18, 100467.
- 2020 Joo, D. Woosnam, K., Lee, S., & Lee, C. Destination loyalty as explained through self-congruity, emotional solidarity, and travel satisfaction. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 45, 338-347.
- 2020 Zhang, X. & Lee, S. Clubs’ Environmentally Responsible Behavior: The Perspectives of Club Managers in North America. International Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Administration. Published online 23 Dec 2020. https://doi.org/10.1080/15256480.2020.1862015
- 2019 Lee, S., Bai, B., & Busser, J. Pop star fan tourists: An application of self-expansion theory. Tourism Management. 72, 270-280.
- 2019 Lee, S., Jeong, E., & Qu, K. Exploring theme park visitors’ experience on satisfaction and revisit intention: A utilization of experience economy model. Journal of Quality Assurance Hospitality and Tourism, DOI: 10.1080/1528008X.2019.1691702
- 2019 Jeong, E., Yang, Q., Lee, S., & Bosselman, R. H. Factors for non-Jewish consumers’ kosher food choice: An investigation of the food quality perception. Journal of Foodservice Business Research, DOI: 10.1080/15378020.2019.1658514
- 2019 Lee, S., Busser, J. A., & Park, E. The influence of self-expansion on pop-star fans’ leisure constraints, commitment, involvement and future intention. Leisure, 43(1), 79-101.
- 2018 Lee, S., Song, H., Lee, C., & Petrick, J. F. An integrated model of pop culture fans' travel decision-making process. Journal of Travel Research, 57(5) 687–701.
- 2018 Park, E., Lee, S., & Lee, C. An integrated model of travelers’ pro-environmental decision-making process: The role of the New Environmental Paradigm. Asia Pacific Journal of Travel Research, 23 (10), 935-948.
- 2018 Marlowe, B., & Lee, S. Conceptualizing Terroir Wine Tourism. Tourism Review International. 22(2), 99-115.
- 2017 Park, E., Lee, S., & Peters, D. Iowa wetlands visitors’ decision-making process: An extended model of goal-directed behavior. Journal of Outdoor Recreation and Tourism, 17, 64-76.
- 2017 Butler, J., & Lee, S. An exploration into the marketing of country club management: member's motivation. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Cases, 5(3), 9-22.
- 2016 Butler, J., & Lee, S. Motivation, place attachment and loyalty in a country Club. Penn State Research Report. Retrieved from https://www.chrie.org/i4a/doclibrary/getfile.cfm?doc_id=27
- 2016 Lee, S., & Bai, B. Influence of popular culture on special interest tourists’ destination image. Tourism Management, 52, 161-169.
- 2015 Lee, S., Busser, J. A., & Yang, J. Exploring the relationships among image formation agents, destination image, and place attachment from the perspective of pop-star's fans. Journal of Travel and Tourism Marketing, 32(6), 730-746.
- 2015 Lee, S., & Chatfield, G. H. Importance – Performance analysis using a multivariate repeated measure approach: A case study of UNLV hotel college students. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 15(2), 1-25.
- 2015 Lee, S., & Yoo, M. Examining celebrity fandom levels and its impact on destination loyalty. Journal of Quality Assurance in Hospitality & Tourism, 16(4), 369-388.
- 2013 Chatfield, H., Lee, S., Karl, M. Effects of financial exigency on job satisfaction of American hospitality faculty - A research note. Journal of Teaching in Travel & Tourism, 13(4), 391-397.
- 2012 Chatfield, H., Lee, S., & Chatfield, R.E. The analysis of factors affecting choice of college: A case study of UNLV hotel college students. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Education, 24(1), 26-33.
- 2011 Yoo, M., Lee, S., & Bai, B. Hospitality marketing research from 2000 to 2009: Topics, methods, and trends. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, 23(4), 517-532.
- 2005 Lee, S., & McCool, A. Business travelers’ diet practices. Journal of Food Service Business Research, 8(4), 3-19.
Books/Chapters in Books Published
- 2015 Yoo, M., Lee, S., & Bai, B. (2015). Hospitality marketing research from 2000 to 2009: Topics, methods, and trends. In Emerald Gems (Ed.), New Perspectives in Hospitality Management (pp.73-90). UK: Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- 2020 Meitners, F., & Lee, S. How to Improve Member Loyalty at Your Club Part 1: Inegreating Psychological Ownership and Group Identity. Club Director, Spring 2020. 34~40.
- 2020 Meitners, F., & Lee, S. How to Improve Member Loyalty at Your Club Part 2: Attachment - Fundamentals First. Club Director, Summer 2020. 18~24
- 2020 Meitners, F., & Lee, S. How to Improve Member Loyalty at Your Club Part 3: Service Quality: What is it and How do you measure it? Club Director, Fall 2020. 16~22.
- 2019 Lee, S. Study looks at reasons for member loyalty,” CMAA Club Management March/April 2019, 6.
- 2017 Butler, J., Lee, S., & Becker, J. Member satisfaction vs. member loyalty, CMAA Club Management Sep/Oct 2017, 22.
- 2016 McMahon B., & Lee, S. Taking the Pulse on Club Environmental Practices A New Groundbreaking Study. Club Trends, Summer 2016, 7~8.
- HSPM 260 Global Tourism Management - On-campus, Online
- HSPM 560 Tourism Management and Tourist Behavior (Master) - Hybrid
- HSPM 660 Research Seminar in Tourism Management (PhD) - Hybrid
- AESHM 502X Research Methods in Apparel, Events, and Hospitality (Graduate) - Hybrid
- HSPM 230 Intro to Hospitality Performance Analysis - On-campus, Online
Dr. SoJung Lee joined the Department of Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management at Iowa State University in 2012. She earned her Ph.D. degree in the William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas in 2012. She has been teaching a variety of undergraduate and graduate level courses in both on-campus and online formats.
Her current research agenda is focused on consumer behavior, including attachment, involvement, commitment, motivation, satisfaction, and loyalty within hospitality and tourism entities (i.e., popular culture tourism, sustainable tourism, wine tourism, and club industry). Recent work has investigated tourists’ psychological characteristics, behaviors and leisure constraints. Sustainable tourism work has focused on Iowa’s wetlands’ benefits to residents and tourists, and visitors’ environmental concern and pro-environmental behaviors. She has recently expanded her research to the club industry, investigating club members’ social identity, motivation, expectation, satisfaction, attachment, and loyalty.
Awards and Grants
- Best Paper Award, “Video Game-Induced Tourism: Game Users’ Perspectives and Behaviors.” The 39th International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators Conference, 2020
- Untenured Faculty Seed Grant, "Ugly food promotion: Investigating consumers' perception and retailers' optimal pricing strategy." Project Mentor, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2020
- Heddleson Junior Faculty Grant, “Are consumers ready for eating garbage?: Investigating consumers’ perceived risks toward upcycled food,” College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2020
- Online Teaching Award, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2020.
- Online Course Development Awards, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2019
- The Council on International Programs Grant Award, "Research Abroad in Asia: Hong Kong and Macau," Iowa State University, 2018
- North Central Regional Center for Rural Development (NCRCRD) Grants Award, "The Impact of Volunteers on Sustainable Rural Community Development", USDA, 2018.
- Best Paper Award, “Social Trust and Destination Image: Destination Source Credibility as a Mediator.” The 2018 Central Federation Council on Hotel, Restaurant, and Institutional Education (CHRIE) Conference, 2018
- Heddleson Junior Faculty Grant, “Identifying cultural sustainability for sustainable rural communities,” College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017, 2018
- Faculty Research Grant Award, “Club members’ value, psychological ownership, and loyalty,” The Club Foundation, 2018
- Untenured Faculty Seed Grant, "Local food promotion: Can rural bed and breakfast operations be a new market? College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017
- External Fund Accelerator Grant, "Local food promotion: A case study of Whiterock, Coon Rapid in Iowa," College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017
- Best Paper Award: Destination attitude through the lens of simillarity as social distance. The KAHTEA conference, 2016
- Faculty Research Grant Award, “Identifying joining motivation factors of members in the country clubs,” The Club Foundation, 2016
- Third Place, A case study of “Understanding country club membership motivation.” The ICHRIE Johnson & Wales Case Study Competition, 2015
- Third Place, Motivation, Place Attachment, and Loyalty in a Country Club, The ICHRIE Penn State Research Reports, 2015
- Early Achievement in Teaching Award, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2015.
- Ph.D. University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Hospitality Administration, May 2012
- MS University of Nevada, Las Vegas, Hospitality Management, Aug 2005
- BS Yonsei University, Food and Nutrition; Business Administration, Feb 1999