The distance doctor of philosophy program is designed to meet the needs of professionals employed in industry, education, and other hospitality-related professions who want to obtain a terminal degree for their career advancement. Students must participate in the hybrid program for two consecutive summer sessions on campus (maximum of three weeks each) and enroll in courses delivered via the web during fall and spring semesters. Students completing requirements of the program will earn a doctorate in foodservice and lodging management.
A complete application must include the following:
- Completed application form
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Three letters of recommendation, at least one from a supervisor and one from a college/university teacher
- Personal letter of application describing your professional goals and how this degree will help you accomplish those goals
- Resume or curriculum vita
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test or Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), taken within the last five years
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score within last two years, for international applicants with degrees from non-English institutions
Download flyer for more information.
After submitting application
- Once an application is submitted, the Iowa State University (ISU) Office of Admissions reviews the application (two to three weeks), followed by a program-level review by the Foodservice and Lodging Management Graduate Faculty Review Committee.
- Once these reviews turn out favorable and when the decision is approved by the Dean of the Graduate College, the Office of Admissions will send an official acceptance letter to the candidate.
72 total credit hours:
- Up to 30 credit hours may be accepted from the master’s degree coursework, depending on types of courses taken and fit with your goals
- Twenty-four credit hours must be taken at Iowa State over four semesters to earn residency
- Fifteen credit hours are required for research/dissertation
- Sample Ph.D. Plan (PDF)
The Iowa State University course catalog lists course descriptions of graduate courses offered.
Scholarships and graduate teaching/research assistantships are available for on-campus students.
Contact the Assistant Director of Graduate Education (DOGE) for hospitality management with any questions.
9W MacKay Hall